| The White Rock Hills Branch Library will serve a portion of the community that was once served by the Casa View Branch Library. The new White Rock Hills Branch Library will be located near Hibiscus Dr. and Ferguson Rd. Construction on the new library will begin December 2010 and is expected to be completed by December 20, 2011.
The City of Dallas Pubic Art Program seeks an artist or artist team to submit qualifications for consideration to design, fabricate, and install an original, site-specific artwork at White Rock Hills Branch Library. The preferred location for the artwork will be outdoors.
The selected artist will be required to collaborate with the library design and construction team, the Project Manager from Public Works and Office of Cultural Affairs Public Art staff in all aspects of the design and production of an artwork for the new library. Project materials must be durable and be virtually maintenance free.
Total Art Budget: $38,000
The budget for this project must cover all costs associated with the design, fabrication, transportation, and installation of artwork including but not limited to artist’s fee, travel, lodging and per diem, required insurance, materials, shop drawings, engineer’s fees and drawings, any graphic design and additional supplies.
All professional artists are eligible to apply with the following exceptions:
· Artists currently under contract with the City of Dallas Public Art Program are not eligible to apply.
· Employees of the City of Dallas, their spouses, members of the Public Art Committee or Cultural Affairs Commission are not eligible to apply.
· Consultants, contractors, designers or anyone else under contract for any phase of the White Rock Hills Branch Library are not eligible to apply.
· Undergraduate students who are currently enrolled or will be enrolled during the time of the public art contract are not eligible to apply.
Artists and artist teams are not required to have previous public art experience but must be committed to working with the architect, design team, Library staff, Public Works project manager and Public Art staff.
Key qualifications include:
· Demonstrate ability to produce artwork of high quality.
· Demonstrate the ability to produce work appropriate for the site taking safety, durability and low maintenance into consideration.
· Demonstrate ability to work with team members on the project.
· Demonstrate ability to complete projects in a timely manner within the established budget.
· Demonstrate commitment to attend scheduled construction, design team and Public Art meetings in Dallas.
A selection panel comprised of arts professionals and community representatives will review qualifications. A group of artists will be short-listed for the project and will be asked to submit a site-specific proposal, including a fully-developed concept and model of the proposed artwork for review and approval by the Selection Committee, the Public Art Committee, the Cultural Affairs Commission and City Council. Short-listed candidates will receive a stipend of $800 to cover the production costs of a site-specific proposal and any travel for research, materials and fees associated with the production of the proposal. A 2D rendering, preferably digital and a 3D maquette will be required.
Interested artists and artist teams should submit the following to be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on November 12, 2010.
Electronic submissions only (email –total file size not to exceed 2MB or CD mailed to address below)
1. Professional resume
2. JPEG images of five recent works with IMAGE LIST of appropriate work for the site: title, date, media, dimensions, location. Please include budgets of examples of Public Art commissions.
3. Letter outlining qualifications, interest and ability to complete the project.
SEND SUBMISSIONS TO:
Please direct all submission-related inquiries and CD submissions to:
Drema Chávez, Public Art Coordinator
1925 Elm Street
Dallas Texas 75201